Friday, February 25, 2011

Oh Quiet, How I Love Thee...

Well, it's been an unusually quiet morning here at the Zoo. (translation: my littles are still asleep...wooohoo!) I've taken this time to color my hair, don't be schocked...it's not natural and that's ok :P...and get some much needed alone time with God.
I recently had the opportunity to hear some wonderful wisdom from a great group of people on the importance of "quiet". How we often neglect to just be still and listen. I've been purposing to be "quiet" more often (and for those who know me, you can imagine how hard that is!) and just listen to the voice of God. In a home full of noise and so many things needing to be done, it's really hard sometimes to do. In this group we were asked to spend 5 minutes of quiet time just praying and hearing from God. It was hard! After a while it seemed uncomfortable. And then, I purposed to stop all the thoughts running through my head and really focus on quiet. I felt peace. Quiet doesn't just pertain to what's going on around us or the noises coming out of our mouths, but also what's going on in our heads. We can have the appearance of quiet and our mind is still shouting at us! Quieting our minds is sooo very important for God to speak. Most often, when I think of being still before the Lord, a certain scripture comes to mind:

Psalm 46:10 - He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

This past week I've come across a few others that I like. They exhibit how when we are "still" before the Lord, He can work on our behalf!

Psalm 37:7 - "Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes."

Exodus 14:14 - "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

1 Samuel 12:16 - “Now then, stand still and see this great thing the LORD is about to do before your eyes!"

Being "quiet" before the Lord allows us to hear from Him. We receive guidance and direction, peace and understanding, when we allow Him into the quiet to make His heart known to us.

I encourage you today, to MAKE time to be still before the Lord. Seek his heart and let Him guide your steps! And in the process He can work through your mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment